If you’re not on the banana “nice cream” bandwagon- get on it! It’s still smokin’ hot in the Bay Area and this discovery (yeah right, just head to Pinterest and you’ll see we’re not the first) is a life saver. The best part about it? NO GUILT because it’s mostly natural sugar and lower in fat than even frozen yogurt is.
As long as you have a base of frozen bananas, the opportunities are endless! This particular creation only takes a few minutes to whip up — literally — and a few minutes to eat. If you have a small food processor or a high-powered blender, like a Vitamix, you can whip bananas into a luscious creamy dessert resembling soft serve ice cream and add any number of fixings.
2 frozen bananas
1 Tbs. + 1 tsp. canned coconut milk
1 tsp. cocoa powder
Pinch of sea salt
2 Tbs. chocolate chips
1 Tbs. shredded unsweetened coconut
*Peel and break the bananas into a few smaller pieces to freeze ahead of time. At the 10DHC, we recommend always having a full container of peeled and sliced frozen bananas so they’re handy for smoothies.
1. Combine the frozen bananas, 1 Tbs. coconut milk, cocoa powder, sea salt, and 1 Tbs. water in a small food processor. Blend until thick and creamy (up to a minute or even more).
2. Combine chocolate chips and 1 tsp. coconut milk in a small bowl and microwave for 15-20 seconds, until soft. Stir together until melty and creamy.
3. In a jar or 2 small bowls, layer the banana “ice cream” with chocolate sauce and shredded coconut. Enjoy one serving and store the remaining in the fridge or freezer (you will need to let it thaw a bit before enjoying).
• Blend the chocolate chips right into the banana mixture for crunchy chocolate chip ice cream.
• Blend bananas, peanut butter, cinnamon, and a splash of almond milk and top with crushed peanuts.
• Blend bananas with frozen strawberries and vanilla extract.
• My favorite: bananas and matcha green tea!
• Tropical twist: bananas with frozen pineapple and mango pieces topped with a sprinkle of coconut flakes
• Bananas, canned pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, and maple syrup… ready for autumn?
• Banana, avocado, and honey base, topped with pistachios and a drizzle of honey
• Banana, NUTELLA and chopped hazelnuts (OMG)
• Banana berry blast: bananas mixed with any frozen berries such as blueberries and blackberries. No need to add sweetener!